welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
Assessment of Cardiopulmonary Function in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
study id #: NCT02195999
condition: Muscular Dystrophy, Duchenne
This study seeks to develop and validate non-invasive assessments of cardiac and respiratory muscles with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to better predict the natural disease progression of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) in affected individuals over time, as well as determine whether peripheral skeletal muscle dysfunction can predict cardiopulmonary dysfunction. The central hypothesis is that non-invasive MRI measures of the heart, muscle, and peripheral skeletal muscles can sensitively predict future cardiopulmonary decline.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT), Metabolic Exercise Testing using stationary bicycle, Echocardiogram
mechanism of action: No pharmaceutical intervention
last updated: July 08, 2019
start date: December 2013
estimated completion: March 6, 2019
size / enrollment: 9
study description: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the heart and breathing muscles, special breathing tests (called pulmonary function testing), special exercise tests (using a stationary bike), and possibly an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart, commonly known as an "echo") will be completed up to 4 times per year for up to 4 years. Most participants will complete testing once or twice each year; however, some participants will be asked to repeat some of the tests twice during each visit.
- Magnetic Resonance (MRI) T2 and Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) [ Time Frame: up to 4 years ]
The MRI T2 and MRS will be used as a noninvasive marker of myocardial damage/inflammation of participants of this study as an early detection for DMD.
- Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) [ Time Frame: up to 4 years ]
Non-invasive breathing tests that characterize respiratory muscle function, as well as lung compliance and physiology.
- Metabolic Exercise Testing (exercise capacity and MVO2) [ Time Frame: up to 4 years ]
With the use of metabolic exercise testing, the aim is to correlate changes in cardiopulmonary function with decline in peripheral skeletal muscle function in individuals with DMD. Metabolic exercise testing includes measuring exercise capacity and maximum oxygen consumption (MVO2).
- Multiple-echo Dixon [ Time Frame: up to 4 years ]
The echocardiogram performed with the multiple-echo Dixon method helps to assess participants cross-sectionally and longitudinally for variations and changes in myocardial structure. This method and MRS will also be used for fat fraction determination.
• 5-15 years old at the time of enrollment
• Diagnosed with DMD (as defined by parent project)
• Written parental informed consent (and assent where appropriate) before any study procedures take place
• Contraindication to an MRI examination
• Presence of a secondary condition that impacts muscle function or metabolism, that leads to developmental delay or impaired motor control, or that is not stable
• Participant is unable to comply with study requirements
• Congenital structural abnormality of the heart, repaired or unrepaired
• Clinically contraindicated participation
Katy Eichinger, PhD, DPTKaty Eichinger is an assistant professor...
Extension Study of ACE-031 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyTo evaluate the long-term safety and tol...
A Study of the Safety, Tolerability & Efficacy of Long-term Administration of Drisapersen in US & Canadian S...This is a phase III, multicenter, open-l...
For Many Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Bright Hope Lies Just Beyond ReachLucas was 5 before his parents, Bill and...
First Patient Dosed in Phase II Clinical Trial in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyAntisense Therapeutics today announced d...
The Role of Family Functioning in Promoting Adaptation in Siblings of Individuals With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (...Background: We want to learn more about ...
Prognostic Factors Affecting Duchenne Muscular DystrophyDetermination of prognostic factors affe...
Edasalonexent could reduce functional decline in boys with DMD, MoveDMD phase 2 results suggestResults of the Phase 2 MoveDMD trial sho...
Quantitative EMG in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyObjective: Multi-motor unit analysis (M...