welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
Cardiac Involvement in Patients With Duchenne/Becker Muscular Dystrophy
study id #: NCT02470962
condition: Duchenne / Becker Muscular Dystrophy
status: active, not recruitingpurpose:
This study evaluates the function of the heart in young patients with muscular dystrophy type Duchenne or Becker. Participants have their hearts examined at regular intervals by ultrasound (echocardiography) and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging.
mechanism of action: No pharmaceutical intervention
last updated: July 19, 2019
start date: May 2015
estimated completion: April 2020
size / enrollment: 40
Muscular dystrophy leads to progressive loss of function in all muscles during childhood and adolescence, including the heart. The usual method to evaluate the heart is echocardiography, emphasizing few parameters. Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging is not as widely available as echocardiography, but early changes can be detected before they become visible on echocardiography. In this study, the investigators compare the methods of measuring heart function in order to find the best measurements for follow up and to see how fast the degenerative changes occur in the hearts of patients with muscular dystrophy.
- Left ventricular ejection fraction [ Time Frame: 3 years per patient ]
- Quantification of fibrosis by LGE/T1 mapping [ Time Frame: 3 years per patient ]
- NT-proBNP [ Time Frame: 3 years per patient ]
• Boys aged 8 to 18 years with DMD/BMD confirmed genetically or by muscle biopsy
• Informed consent
• Other clinically significant concomitant disease states (e.g., renal failure)
• Inability to follow the procedures of the study, e.g. due to language problems, psychological disorders, dementia, etc. of the participant or his/her parents or legal caregivers
• Inability to lie still for the duration of the imaging procedures (approximately 45 minutes each for echocardiography and CMR)
• MR-incompatible implanted or accidentally incorporated metal device or claustrophobia that prohibits use of magnetic resonance imaging
Bone Health in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: For Teens/ChildrenThis fact sheet is about bone health in ...
Dystrophin-Deficient CardiomyopathyDystrophinopathies are a group of distin...
Improvement of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Phenotype Following Obestatin TreatmentBackground: This study was performed to...
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy < 18y in Norway: Genotype/Phenotype, Growth, Puberty, Bone Health and Quality of LifeThe study will give a consent based epid...
Delayed onset of ambulation in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: Potential use as an endpoint in clinical trial...Abstract Individuals with Duchenne musc...
Insights into bone mineral density and bone metabolism in Duchenne muscular dystrophyLow bone mineral density (BMD) and incre...
Testosterone Treatment of Pubertal Delay in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyBackground: The outlook for adolescents...