welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
Clinical Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Givinostat in Ambulant Patients With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
study id #: NCT02851797
condition: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
it is a randomised, double blind, parallel group, placebo controlled study. A total of 213 male ambulant subjects will be randomised 2:1 (givinostat:placebo). Subjects will be stratified for their concomitant use of steroids in 4 strata: 1. Deflazacort daily regimen 2. Deflazacort intermittent regimen 3. Other steroids daily regimen 4. Other steroids intermittent regimen. The study duration is planned for 19 months.
intervention: givinostat, placebo
mechanism of action: Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor to reduce inflammation and promote muscle health
last updated: December 04, 2019
start date: June 1, 2017
estimated completion: June 2020
phase of development: Phase 3
size / enrollment: 213
Givinostat or placebo oral suspension (10 mg/mL) will be administered orally as 2 oral doses daily while the subject is in fed state, according to the child's weight.
Study drug should be permanently stopped if any of the following occur:
• severe drug-related diarrhoea;
• any drug-related Serious Adverse Event;
• QTcF >500 msec;
• platelets count =<50 x 109/L.
• white blood cells =<2.0 x 109/L
• hemoglobin =<8.0 g/dL
Study drug should be temporarily stopped if any of the following occur:
• platelets count <75 x 109/L but >50 x 109/L (the treatment should be temporarily stopped and a platelets count has to be performed and re-tested until platelets will be normalized);
• moderate or severe diarrhoea.
• white blood cell <3.0 x 109/L but >2.0 x 109/L (the treatment should be temporarily stopped and white blood cells have to be measured by 1 week and re-tested until white blood cells will be normalized);
• hemoglobin <10.0 g/dL but > 8.0 g/dL (the treatment should be temporarily stopped and hemoglobin has to be measured by 1 week and re-tested until hemoglobin will be normalized);
• Triglycerides >300 mg/dL (3.42 mmol/L) in fasting condition (the treatment should be temporarily stopped and triglycerides has to be measured every 2 weeks until triglycerides return to levels below 300mg/dL (3.42 mmol/L)
In case the study drug was temporarily stopped, the study drug can be resumed at a level 1/3 smaller than the one at which the Adverse Event leading to temporary stop occurred, once platelets and/or white blood cell and/or hemoglobin are normalized and/or triglycerides return to levels below 300 mg/dL (3.42 mmol/L) or diarrhoea is mild.
Two interim analyses are planned and will be conducted by the IDMC in order to ensure study integrity.
- mean change in 4 standard stairs climb [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
the primary endpoint is the mean change in 4 standard stairs climb test results before and after 18 months of treatment of givinostat versus placebo
- Other functional test as 6MWT [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
The mean change in 6MWT
- Time to rise from floor [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
The mean change in time to rise from floor
- Magnetic Resonance Spetroscopy [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
The mean change in fat fraction of vastus lateralis muscles at MRS
- North Star Ambulatory Assessment [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
The mean change in North Star Ambulatory Assessment
- Muscle strength evaluated by knee extension, elbow flexion [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
The mean change of muscle strength evaluated by knee extension, elbow flexion as measured by hand-held myometry (HHM)
• Eligible Sexes: male
• Are an ambulant male aged >=6 years at randomisation with DMD characteristic clinical symptoms or signs (e.g., proximal muscle weakness, Gowers' maneuver, elevated serum creatinine kinase level) already present at screening;
• Have DMD diagnosis confirmed by genetic testing;
• Are able to give informed assent and/or consent in writing signed by the subject and/or parent/legal guardian (according to local regulations);
• Are able to complete 2 Four Stairs Climb test (4SC) screening assessments; the results of these tests must be within ±1 second of each other;
• Have the mean of 2 screening 4SC assessments =<8 seconds;
• Have time to rise from floor between >=3 and <10 seconds at screening
• Have manual muscle testing (MMT) of quadriceps at screening Grade - 3;
• Have used systemic corticosteroids for a minimum of 6 months immediately prior to the start of study treatment, with no significant change in corticosteroids type or dosage or dosing regimen (excluding changes related to body weight change) for a minimum of 6 months immediately prior to start of study treatment and a reasonable expectation that dosage and dosing regimen will not change significantly for the duration of the study.
• Subjects must be willing to use adequate contraception.
• Have exposure to another investigational drug within 3 months prior to the start of study treatment;
• Have exposure to idebenone within 3 months prior to the start of study treatment;
• Have exposure to any dystrophin restoration product (e.g., Ataluren, Exon skipping) within 6 months prior to the start of study treatment;
• Use of any pharmacologic treatment, other than corticosteroids, that might have had an effect on muscle strength or function within 3 months prior to the start of study treatment (e.g., growth hormone); Vitamin D, calcium, and any other supplements will be allowed as long as their intake has been stable for 3 months prior to the start of study treatment; Testosterone will also be allowed if it is used as a replacement therapy for the treatment of delayed puberty, and testosterone dose and regimen have been stable for at least 6 months and circulating testosterone levels are within the normal ranges for the subject's age;
• Have surgery that might have an effect on muscle strength or function within 3 months before study entry or planned surgery at any time during the study;
• Ankle joint contractures due to a fixed loss of >=10 degrees of dorsiflexion from plantagrade assuming a normal range of dorsiflexion of 20 degree;
• Change in contracture treatment such as serial casting, contracture control devices, night splints, stretching exercises (passive, active, self) within 3 months prior to enrollment, or expected need for such intervention during the study;
• Have presence of other clinically significant disease, which, in the Investigator's opinion, could adversely affect the safety of the subject, making it unlikely that the course of treatment or follow-up would be completed, or could impair the assessment of study results;
• Have a diagnosis of other uncontrolled neurological diseases or presence of relevant uncontrolled somatic disorders that are not related to DMD;
• Have platelets count at screening < Lower Limit of Normal (LLN);
• Have symptomatic cardiomyopathy or heart failure (New York Heart Association Class III or IV) or left ventricular ejection fraction <50% at screening;
• Have a current or history of liver disease or impairment;
• Have inadequate renal function, as defined by serum Cystatin C >2 x the upper limit of normal (ULN);
• Have Triglycerides > 300 mg/dL (3.42 mmol/L) in fasting condition at screening visit;
• Have a baseline QTcF >450 msec, or history of additional risk factors for torsades de pointes (e.g., heart failure, hypokalemia, or family history of long QT syndrome);
• Have a psychiatric illness/social situations rendering the potential subject unable to understand and comply with the muscle function tests and/or with the study protocol procedures;
• Have any known allergic reaction to givinostat or any of its excipients.
• Have any hypersensitivity to the components of study medication;
• Have a sorbitol intolerance or sorbitol malabsorption, or have the hereditary form of fructose intolerance.
• Have contraindications to MRI or MRS (e.g., claustrophobia, metal implants, or seizure disorder).
Therapeutic Potential for Aldosterone Inhibition in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe study is to demonstrate non-inferior...
A Phase III Double-blind Study With Idebenone in Patients With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Taking Glucocortico...The purpose of the study is to assess th...
Roche Letter to the Duchenne CommunityBy now, many have heard about Pfizer's d...
Nebivolol for the Prevention of Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction in Patients With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe objective is to determine whether ne...
Phase III Study of Edasalonexent in Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (PolarisDMD)The PolarisDMD study is a Phase 3, globa...
Design of a phase 3 trial to evaluate the long-term efficacy and safety of ataluren in patients with nonsense mutati...Ataluren is conditionally approved by th...
Open Label Study of GSK2402968 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe purpose of this study is to explore ...
Catabasis Quarterly: Updates on edasalonexent and clinical trialsWe are pleased to announce that we have ...
PTC Therapeutics Phase III Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Clinical TrialPTC Therapeutics, Inc. is seeking pa...
Catabasis Pharmaceuticals Initiates Phase 3 PolarisDMD Clinical Trial For Edasalonexent In Duchenne Muscular Dystrop...Catabasis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a clini...