welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
Effect of Modulating the nNOS System on Cardiac, Muscular and Cognitive Function in Becker Muscular Dystrophy Patients
study id #: NCT01350154
condition: Becker Muscular Dystrophy
This study is done to evaluate whether treatment with the drug sildenafil (Revatio®) can improve muscular, cardiac, cerebrovascular or cognitive function in patients with Beckers muscular dystrophy when compared to placebo (inactive medication). The study is based on the recent findings of an improved cardiac function in a mouse model of muscular dystrophy (Adamo et al 2010) and the previous findings of changed cognitive function in people with Becker dystrophy. In muscular dystrophy, the cellular protein, dystrophin is affected. During normal conditions, the enzyme neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), which produce nitric oxide (NO), is attached to dystrophin. NO is important in normal vascular function in each of muscle, heart and brain by stimulating production of cyclic GMP. However, in muscular dystrophy with dystrophin deficiency, nNOS do not have the normal cellular anchor, resulting in decreased NO levels and subsequent reduced cyclic GMP production. Sildenafil inhibits degradation of cGMP thus prolonging and increasing a cGMP response. Such effects are the basis for use of sildenafil in pulmonary hypertension and erectile dysfunction. Current hypothesis: Sildenafil restores the cyclic GMP function affected in muscular dystrophy wit nNOS deficiency resulting in improved muscle, cardiac, cerebrovascular and cognitive function.
intervention: Sildenafil, Placebo
mechanism of action: PDE5 inhibitor to improve muscle blood flow during exercise
last updated: November 21, 2018
start date: November 2011
estimated completion: April 2013
phase of development: Phase 2
size / enrollment: 17
The current clinical trial including people with Becker's muscular dystrophy and established deficiency in muscular content of nNOS protein consist of three sub-studies focusing on each of muscle function, cardiac function and brain function. In muscular dystrophy the dystrophin cellular complex usually located to muscle cells, is disrupted resulting in a known reduced nNOS activity. The reduced nNOS leads to reduced cyclic GMP production. nNOS and cyclic GMP are involved in the vascular response in striate muscle, cardiac vessels as well as the cerebrovascular response to hypercapnia and regional activation. In muscular dystrophy, the is an affected muscular and cardiac function and in some patients a changed cognitive function in described. Whether such is related to a reduced nNOS function and subsequent cGMP production is not fully understood. Inhibition of cGMP degradation by inhibiting the cGMP degrading enzyme phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE5) using PDE5 inhibitors such as sildenafil may result in restoration of vascular responses.
The study is designed as a double blind, randomised, balanced, placebo-controlled cross-over study performed during a 10 week treatment period. The patients will receive 4 weeks of either sildenafil or placebo with a 2 week washout period in between treatments. The study out-come parameters will be performed on two consecutive days at baseline, 4 weeks and 10 weeks, at two collaborating centers, Rigshospitalet for muscle and cardiac parameters and Glostrup Hospital for cerebrovascular and cognitive parameters.
The primary endpoints relate to each sub-study, assessing and comparing individual changes from baseline and during placebo/sildenafil treatment.
- Difference in change from baseline to 4 week placebo/sildenafil treatment in handgrip test with concomitant ultrasound measurement of flow in the brachial artery [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Primary outcome for substudy 1
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 week placebo/sildenafil treatment in resting cardiac end-diastolic volume measured by MRI [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 week treatment ]
Primary outcome for substudy 2
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 week placebo/sildenafil treatment in cerebrovascular reactivity to CO2 inhalation and finger stimulation measured by BOLD fMRI [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Primary outcome for substudy 3
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in Cognitive function measured by Cambridge Neuropsychological Test Automated Battery (CANTAB) [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ] Primary outcome for substudy 3
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in 6 minutes walk test [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in max test, measured by O2 uptake during maximal exercise on bike [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in Quality of life by SF36 [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in resting cardiac function measured by cardiac MRI [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Substudy 2. Evaluation of resting cardiac ejection fraction and end-systolic volume.
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in cardiac function during hand grip exercise measured by cardiac MRI [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Substudy 2. Cardiac volumes and ejection fraction during 1 minute repeated maximal force hand exercise will be measured.
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in cerebrovascular reactivity and blood flow [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Substudy 3. fMRI BOLD evaluation of visual stimulation, MRI angiography for arterial diameter, arterial spin labeling for evaluation of cerebral blood flow and blood volume.
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in basic activity and metabolites of the brain [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Substudy 3.Resting state network by fMRI and metabolites in brain regions by MRI spectroskopy.
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks placebo/sildenafil treatment in cognitive function measured by paper and pen test battery [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Substudy 3. A paper and pen cognitive test battery will be applied, including Trail making A and B, Addenbrooke's Cognitive Examination, Symbol DIgital MOdality tests
- Difference in changes from baseline to 4 weeks treatment placebo/sildenafil in plasma levels of signalling molecules [ Time Frame: Baseline and 4 weeks treatment ]
Substudy 3. From blood samples taken at baseline, 4 and 10 weeks, analysis of several signalling molecules relevant for cardiac and cerebrovascular function will be performed.
• Muscular dystrophy with known deficiency in nNOS
• Reduced cardiac function (<50%) and/or reduced muscular function (MRC<4+)
• Stable dosing (> 3 month)of cardiovascular medication
• Signed informed consent
• Recent (< 6 month) cerebral or cardiac stroke
• Use of nitrate containing compounds, alpha receptor blocking agents or potent CUP3A4 inhibitors.
• Intolerance or allergy to sildenafil, or intake of drugs not compatible with sildenafil intake
• Overuse of drugs or alcohol
• inclusion in other trials of experimental medication within last 30 days
• known epilepsy
• reduced liver function (ASAT >500U/l in 2 repeated measurements when corrected for increase in creatinkinase levels.
• non-arteriitis anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) with reduced vision
• contraindications for MRI scan (metal implants, claustrophobia)
• hypotension (<90 mmHg systolic at baseline)
• conditions, medical or psychosocial which makes the subject inclusion inadvisable
Open Label Extension Study of HT-100 in Patients With DMDThis study is designed to provide 6-mont...
Phase 2b Extension Study of Ataluren (PTC124) in Duchenne/Becker Muscular Dystrophy (DMD/BMD)Duchenne/Becker muscular dystrophy (DMD/...
PTC Therapeutics Announces Positive Data from its Translarna™ Phase II Clinical Trial in Children as Young as Two ...PTC Therapeutics, Inc. today announced t...
CRD007 for the Treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Becker Muscular Dystrophy and Symptomatic CarriersThis is an investigation of the efficacy...
Clinical Trial of Coenzyme Q10 and Lisinopril in Muscular DystrophiesThe study will include 120 participants ...
HT-100 Long-term Study in DMD Patients Who Completed HALO-DMD-02This study, HALO-DMD-03, is a follow-on ...
Capricor Therapeutics Announces Positive Results from its Interim Analysis in the HOPE-2 Trial to Treat Patients wit...Capricor Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAP...
Edasalonexent could reduce functional decline in boys with DMD, MoveDMD phase 2 results suggestResults of the Phase 2 MoveDMD trial sho...
First Patient Dosed in Phase II Clinical Trial in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyAntisense Therapeutics today announced d...
Wave Life Sciences Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Clinical Trial Selected for FDA Complex Innovative Trial Designs Pilo...Wave Life Sciences Ltd., a biotechnology...