welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
- log in
L-citrulline and Metformin in Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy
study id #: NCT01995032
condition: Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
The purpose of the study is to show that the intake of L-citrulline and metformin improves muscle function and delay of progression in patients with Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy.
intervention: 750 mg metformin and 7.5 g L-citrulline daily p.o., Placebo
mechanism of action: Muscle cell engery regulators to prevent muscle loss
last updated: November 22, 2018
start date: October 2013
estimated completion: March 2016
phase of development: Phase 3
size / enrollment: 47
This is a single center, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. The study medication consists of L-citrulline and metformin, respectively placebo given orally; 2.5 g L-citrulline or placebo will be given 3 times daily, metformin containing 250 mg or placebo will be administered 3 times daily. The duration of the study is 26 weeks and comprehends one screening and three study visits.
Amendment 1: Amended eligibility criteria
- Mean change of motor function measure (MFM) D1 subscore (assessing standing and transfers) [ Time Frame: baseline to week 26 ]
- Mean change of MFM total score, the D2, and D3 MFM subscores [ Time Frame: baseline to week 26 ]
- Mean change of six minute walking distance (6MWD) [ Time Frame: baseline to week 26 ]
- Change of quantitative muscle MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) including muscle fat content (MFC) and T2 times of thigh muscles [ Time Frame: baseline to week 26 ]
- Change in the plasma/urine concentration for markers of muscle necrosis, oxidative stress, nitrosative stress, and change of microRNA (miRNA) [ Time Frame: baseline to week 26 ]
- Mean change of quantitative muscle force (QMT) of knee extension and elbow flexion using hand held dynamometry (HHD) [ Time Frame: baseline to week 26 ]
• Molecular diagnosis of DMD
• Patients 6.5 - 10 years of age at time of screening
• Ability to walk 150 m in the 6 min walking distance (6MWT)
• D1 subdomain of the MFM scale >40%
• stable treatment with steroids for >6 months or steroid naïve patients
• Previous (3 months or less) or concomitant participation in another therapeutic trial
• Use of L-citrulline, L-arginine or metformin within the last 3 months
• Known individual hypersensitivity to L-citrulline or metformin
• known or suspected malignancy
• Other chronic disease or clinical relevant limitation of renal, liver, heart function according to discretion of investigator
• start of cortisone treatment or change in dosage <6 months prior to screening
Evaluation of a Mechanical Device During Acute Respiratory Failure in Patients With Neuromuscular DisordersThe hypothesis is that a mechanical insu...
Effect of a long-term treatment with metformin in dystrophic mdx mice: A reconsideration of its potential clinical i...The pharmacological stimulation of AMP-a...
Phase III Study of Edasalonexent in Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (PolarisDMD)The PolarisDMD study is a Phase 3, globa...
Givinostat in Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy Long-term Safety and Tolerability StudyThis is an open label, long-term safety,...
Tamoxifen in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyA randomised, double blind, placebo cont...
A Clinical Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of GSK2402968 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe purpose of this study is to determin...
Roche Letter to the Duchenne CommunityBy now, many have heard about Pfizer's d...
DuchenneXchange Clinical Trial Finder LaunchesThe DuchenneXchange Clinical Trial Finde...
Catabasis Quarterly: Updates on edasalonexent and clinical trialsHappy New Year! As 2019 kicks off, our P...
Design of a phase 3 trial to evaluate the long-term efficacy and safety of ataluren in patients with nonsense mutati...Ataluren is conditionally approved by th...