welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
Phase II Study of NPC-14 (Arbekacin Sulfate) to Explore Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
study id #: NCT01918384
condition: Muscular Dystrophy, Duchenne
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) is inherited neuromuscular disorders due to mutation in the gene that encodes critical muscle protein called dystrophin. Currently, there is no effective treatment option for the disease. A pharmacological approach by promoting mRNA translation regardless of the presence of premature stop codons by nonsense mutation, called the readthrough strategy, has been developing recently for DMD with nonsense mutation. NPC-14 is a candidate compound for the readthrough strategy, since effective readthrough activities were demonstrated in nonclinical studies. This study is a phase II study designed to assess safety, tolerability, and efficacy of NPC-14 in ambulant DMD patients with nonsense mutation that were confirmed by whole genome analysis. These goals will be accomplished by monitoring adverse events by physical examination, cardiac, pulmonary, auditory, balance, and laboratory tests as safety endpoints, and dystrophin expression in muscle biopsy as primary efficacy endpoint, muscle function (NSAA, timed test, muscle strength (QMT, MMT) , dairy activities by lifecorder), and biomarkers as secondary efficacy endpoints. The study is a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study in 21 DMD patients. After screening, eligible patients are allocated dynamically to weekly NPC-14 or a placebo (saline) in a 2:1 ratio and will receive study drugs for 36 weeks.
intervention: NPC-14, Placebo
mechanism of action: Stop codon read through to promote dystrophin production
last updated: November 22, 2018
start date: August 2013
estimated completion: October 2015
phase of development: Phase 2
size / enrollment: 21
- Safety and tolerability (Adverse events) [ Time Frame: Up to 38 weeks (36 weeks treatment period and 2 weeks follow up period) ]
- Change of dystrophin expression rate in muscle tissues from the baseline assessment [ Time Frame: At 37 weeks (1 week after from 36 weeks treatment period) ]
- North Star Ambulatory Assessment [ Time Frame: At 36 weeks ]
- Timed test (6MWT, time to walk/run 10 meters, time to climb/descent four steps, time to rise from the floor) [ Time Frame: At 36 weeks ]
- Muscle strength (MMT, QMT) [ Time Frame: At 36 weeks ]
- Dairy activities [ Time Frame: At 36 weeks ]
- Biomarkers (CK, ALD) [ Time Frame: At 36 weeks ]
Diagnosis of DMD resulting from a nonsense mutation by whole genome sequencing of the dystrophin gene
• To have intact right or left biceps muscles, or an alternative muscle group that is able to be underwent for appropriate evaluation of efficacy
• To meet the following criteria at screening (baseline visit), within 30 days prior to the first dose of study drug
• Ambulant and able to walk at least 75 meters during the 6MWT
• Able to comply with and complete all protocol requirements, and judged by the investigator to be appropriate to participate in the study from the screening results
• Aged at least 4 years at the time of giving informed consent
• Able to be hospitalized for the study requirement
• Signed Informed consent by parents/legal guardian and/or signed assent by the subject (age of assent to be determined by IRB)
• Prior exposure to investigational medicines that have a potential of restoring dystrophin or other functional protein (readthrough, exon skipping, utrophin upregulation therapy etc.)
• Known mutation at nucleotide 1555 in 12S rRNA gene of mitochondrial DNA, and/or personally or families have been treated or have a history of eight cranial nerve disorder （hearing loss, vertigo,tinnitus etc.) as a result of aminoglycoside use
• Inability to hear within the range of 0 to 25 dB by pure tone audiometry, abnormalities on auditory brainstem response audiometry, and/or loss of frequency by distortion product oto acoustic emissions at screening
• Poor oral intake or enable to oral intake, and/or bad general status
• Known allergies to NPC-14, other aminoglycosides, and/or bacitracin
• Presence of anti-dystrophin antibody at the baseline assessments
• Cys-C >=1.2 mg/L and/or creatinine concentration >1.5 times the upper limit of age corrected normal range
• Left ventricular ejection fraction (EF) <40% or left ventricular fractional shortening (FS) <25%, and/or >=480 msec QTc (corrected QT interval by Fridericia's method)
• Need of mechanical ventilation
• Forced vital capacity (FVC) <50% predicted
• Clinically significant concomitant diseases (hematology, psychoneurotic, hepatic, pulmonary, endocrine, immune, renal, and gastroenterological diseases), and/or cancer
• Impairment of intellectual functions, and/or expressive language ability which might interfere with study assessments
• Treatment with other systemic aminoglycoside within 6 months prior to the first administration of study drug
A Clinical Study to Assess Two Doses of GSK2402968 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)The purpose of this study is to determin...
Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of Single and Multiple Doses of HT-100 in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe main purpose of this study is to tes...
HT-100 Long-term Study in DMD Patients Who Completed HALO-DMD-02This study, HALO-DMD-03, is a follow-on ...
A 2-Part Study to Assess the Safety and Tolerability, pk, Effects on Histology and Some Clinical Parameters of Givin...This is a 2-part, phase 2 study to asses...
An Open-label Extension Study To Evaluate Safety Of PF-06252616 In Boys With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThis study is an open-label extension to...
Open Label Extension Study of HT-100 in Patients With DMDThis study is designed to provide 6-mont...
Safety Study of Eteplirsen to Treat Early Stage Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThis is an open-label study to assess th...
Capricor Therapeutics Announces Positive Results from its Interim Analysis in the HOPE-2 Trial to Treat Patients wit...Capricor Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAP...
Wave Life Sciences Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Clinical Trial Selected for FDA Complex Innovative Trial Designs Pilo...Wave Life Sciences Ltd., a biotechnology...
First Patient Dosed in Phase II Clinical Trial in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyAntisense Therapeutics today announced d...
A phase 2 trial of the safety and pharmacokinetics of ataluren in patients aged 2 to 5 years with nonsense mutation ...Nonsense mutation Duchenne muscular dyst...
Phase IIa trial in Duchenne muscular dystrophy shows vamorolone is a first-in-class dissociative steroidal anti-infl...We report a first-in-patient study of va...