welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
- log in
Safety, Tolerability and Effects of L-Arginine in Boys With Dystrophinopathy on Corticosteroids
study id #: NCT01388764
condition: Dystrophinopathy, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Becker's Muscular Dystrophy
The purpose of the study is to assess the safety, tolerability, and effects of L-Arginine on muscles in boys with dystrophinopathy on corticosteroids. Specifically, to see if L-arginine reduces muscle signal abnormalities on MRI done pre and post 30 days of L-arginine administration.
mechanism of action: Muscle cell engery regulator to prevent muscle loss
last updated: November 21, 2018
start date: January 2012
estimated completion: May 2012
phase of development: Phase 1
size / enrollment: 7
study description: Dystrophinopathy is a muscular dystrophy (includes Duchenne or Becker's Muscular Dystrophy) that can be a lethal muscle disorder resulting from defects in the gene for dystrophin, a structural protein required to maintain muscle integrity. Absence of functional dystrophin leaves the muscle membrane vulnerable to damage during contraction. This damage can be exacerbated by an inflammatory response leading to myofiber necrosis.
L-arginine is a widely available dietary supplement amino acid postulated to affect dystrophinopathy in several favorable ways: upregulation of utrophin, vasodilation in muscle via nitric oxide, enhanced synthesis of creatine, increase levels of growth hormone.
We hypothesize that administration of L-arginine may increase levels of creatine and growth hormone and in turn reduce the extent of myofiber damage in our patients with dystrophinopathy
- MRI/MRS of calf muscle [ Time Frame: Day 0 and Day 30 ]
MRI/MRS will be performed of the calf muscle in all subjects (N=8) to assess muscle signal abnormalities on MRI and creatine levels on MRS, done at the start of the study (Day 0) and at the end of the study (Day 30), after 30 days of L-arginine administration.
- Blood tests [ Time Frame: Day 0 and Day 30 ]
We will obtain safety labs [complete blood count (CBC) and comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP)] from all subjects (N =8), at day 0 and day 30, after 30 days of oral L-argninine administration.
- Assessment of muscle strength and function [ Time Frame: Day 0 and Day 30 ]
Measurements of upper and lower extremity strength will be performed using a hand-held dynamometer. Functional tests will also be performed which include time to walk specified distances and time to climb stairs.
- Pulmonary function tests [ Time Frame: Day 0 and Day 30 ]
Subjects will have pulmonary function studies to assess forced vital capacity
• Confirmation of diagnosis of dystrophinopathy, documented by clinical exam and dystrophin DNA mutation analysis
• Ambulatory male subjects between the ages of 7-11 years
• Stable dosage of corticosteroids for 3 months prior to entry (Screening/Baseline Day 0) and during treatment period
• Able to follow instructions and give assent
• Able to complete nonsedated MR
• Presence of metallic orthopedic hardware in the lower extremity that could affect MRI/MRS measurements
• Routine MRI exclusion criteria such as the presence of a pacemaker, cochlear implant, or cerebral aneurysm clip
• Subjects not capable of cooperating during MR examination
• Known hypersensitivity to L-arginine
• Exposure to another investigational agent, investigational supplements, growth hormone within 3 months prior to entry (Screening/Baseline Day 0) or during treatment period
• Subjects must not be taking L-arginine for at least 4 weeks prior to entry (Day 0)
• Subjects who are non-ambulatory or with daytime ventilatory dependence
Bone Marrow-Derived Autologous Stem Cells for the Treatment of Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThis study is single arm, single center ...
A Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of a Single Dose of SRP-5051 in Patients With Duc...The purpose of this study is to evaluate...
Safety Study of Flavocoxid in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyObjective of this study is to evaluate s...
A Pharmacokinetic Study of Oral Deflazacort in Children and Adolescent Subjects With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyStudy to characterize the single-state a...
PDE Inhibitors in DMD Study (Acute Dosing Study)PDE5A inhibition, which boosts NO-cGMP s...
Improved Muscle Function in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Through L-Arginine and MetforminThe purpose of the study is to show that...
Safety and Tolerability of WVE-210201 in Patients With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThis is a Phase 1, double-blind, placebo...
DuchenneXchange Clinical Trial Finder LaunchesThe DuchenneXchange Clinical Trial Finde...
Wave Life Sciences Receives US Orphan Drug and Rare Pediatric Disease Designations for WVE-210201Wave Life Sciences Ltd., a biotechnology...
Solid Biosciences Reports Third Quarter 2018 Financial Results And Provides Business UpdateSolid Biosciences Inc. today reported fi...
Catabasis Pharmaceuticals Announces Publication Of Phase 1 Clinical Results Of Edasalonexent (CAT-1004) In Duchenne ...Catabasis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a clini...
ReveraGen Announces First Patient Enrollment in International Pivotal Trial of Vamorolone in Duchenne Muscular Dystr...ReveraGen BioPharma, Inc. today announce...