welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
- log in
Study of ACE-031 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
study id #: NCT01099761
condition: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
The purpose of this study is to determine if ACE-031 is safe and well-tolerated in boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) and to select the optimal doses of ACE-031 in terms of safety and pharmacodynamic (PD) activity for designing future studies. [Note: This study was terminated based on safety data]
intervention: ACE-031 0.5 mg/kg q4wk, ACE-031 1.0 mg/kg q2wk, Placebo
mechanism of action: Myostatin inhibitor to promote muscle growth
last updated: November 22, 2018
start date: April 2010
estimated completion: June 2011
phase of development: Phase 2
size / enrollment: 24
ACE-031, a soluble form of the human activin receptor type IIB, was administered once every 2 to 4 weeks by subcutaneous (SC) injection to boys with DMD. Dose levels and regimens for this multiple-dose study were based on data from the initial clinical studies in healthy subjects in which doses of 0.02 to 3 mg/kg SC were evaluated. A total of 24 subjects were enrolled into the study; 18 received ACE-031 and 6 placebo. All subjects were treated for a period of 12 weeks.
The pharmacodynamic effects of ACE-031 treatment were assessed by a battery of motor function test that included the 6-Minute Walk Test, the 10-Minute Walk/Run Test, the 4-Stair Climb Test and the Gower Maneuver (GW).
Muscle strength was assessed by hand-held myometry and fixed system testing. Body composition (i.e., spine BMD, lean mass, and fat mass) was assessed by whole body and lumbar spine DXA scans. Pulmonary function was assessed by forced vital capacity (FVC), maximal inspiratory pressure (MIP) and maximal expiratory pressure (MEP). ACE-031 safety was evaluated through observation of the incidence and severity of adverse events.
- Number of subjects with adverse reactions. [Time Frame: From treatment initiation to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later]
Number of subjects in each cohort with a treatment-emergent adverse event considered at least possibly related to study drug.
- Number of subjects with clinical laboratory adverse reactions. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
Number of subjects in each cohort with treatment-emergent adverse laboratory values judged to be at least possibly related to study drug
- Percent Change in Total Lean Body Mass by DXA Scan. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Percent Change in Lumbar Spine Bone Mineral Density by DXA Scan. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Percent Change in Muscle Strength Score by Hand-held Myometry. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
Manual Muscle Testing (MMT) is a procedure to measure the function and strength of individual muscles and muscle groups. Hand-held myometry, using a device known as a dynamometer, is one method used for MMT. The dynamometer is held against the patient's limb by the examiner and the patient is asked to resist the force applied by the examiner. The dynamometer measures the force applied by the patient, providing a quantitative and objective assessment of strength of the particular muscle or muscle group. The effectiveness of a therapeutic intervention on muscle strength, as measured by hand-held myometry, can be assessed by comparing post-treatment to pre-treatment (baseline) measurements.
- Change in Distance Traveled in 6 Minutes (Standardized 6-Minute-Walk Test). [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Change in distance traveled in 6 minutes (standardized 6-Minute-Walk Test); stratified by baseline age (<10 years vs. >=10 years)
- Change From Baseline in Time to Travel 10 Meters (Standardized 10-Meter-Walk/Run Test). [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Change in Pulmonary Function Tests (FVC) [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
Forced Vital Capacity (FVC); 1 of 3 separate tests employed to assess pulmonary function in this study
- Change in Pulmonary Function Test (MIP) [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit. approximately 24 weeks]
Maximum Inspiratory Pressure (MIP); 2 of 3 separate tests employed to assess pulmonary function in this study
- Change in Pulmonary Function Test (MEP) [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Stuidy Visit, approximately 24 weeks]
Maximum Expiratory Pressure (MEP); 3 of 3 separate tests employed to assess pulmonary function in this study
• Diagnosis of DMD confirmed
• Corticosteroid therapy for at least one year prior to study day 1 and on a stable dose and schedule for at least 6 months prior to study day 1
• Evidence of muscle weakness by clinical assessment
• Any previous treatment with another investigational product within 6 months prior to study day 1
• Any clinically significant cardiac, endocrine, hematologic, hepatic, immunologic, metabolic, urologic, pulmonary, neurologic, dermatologic, psychiatric, renal, and/or other major disease that is not related to DMD
• Inability to perform a whole body dual x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan
Phase II Study of NPC-14 (Arbekacin Sulfate) to Explore Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy in Duchenne Muscular Dyst...Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) is inh...
Phase IIb Study of PRO045 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe purpose of the study is to see wheth...
Study of DS-5141b in Patients With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThis is a phase I/II study to evaluate t...
Oral Ifetroban in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyDuchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) is a d...
Safety Study of BLS-M22 in Healthy VolunteersBLS-M22 is being developed as an anti-my...
An Extension Study to Assess Vamorolone in Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)The main purposes of this study are to s...
Extension Study of NS-065/NCNP-01 in Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)This is an open-label, extension study o...
Potential DMD Therapy Vamorolone Shows Positive Effects in Phase 2a Trial, Study ReportsVamorolone, a Duchenne muscular dystroph...
BIOPHYTIS to Host Key Opinion Leader Meeting on the Biology of Aging and its Application in Neuromuscular DiseasesBiophytis, a clinical-stage biotechnolog...
DuchenneXchange Clinical Trial Finder LaunchesThe DuchenneXchange Clinical Trial Finde...
Phase IIa trial in Duchenne muscular dystrophy shows vamorolone is a first-in-class dissociative steroidal anti-infl...We report a first-in-patient study of va...
Capricor Therapeutics Announces Positive Results from its Interim Analysis in the HOPE-2 Trial to Treat Patients wit...Capricor Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAP...