welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
Study of ACE-031 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
study id #: NCT01099761
condition: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
The purpose of this study is to determine if ACE-031 is safe and well-tolerated in boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) and to select the optimal doses of ACE-031 in terms of safety and pharmacodynamic (PD) activity for designing future studies. [Note: This study was terminated based on safety data]
intervention: ACE-031 0.5 mg/kg q4wk, ACE-031 1.0 mg/kg q2wk, Placebo
mechanism of action: Myostatin inhibitor to promote muscle growth
last updated: November 22, 2018
start date: April 2010
estimated completion: June 2011
phase of development: Phase 2
size / enrollment: 24
ACE-031, a soluble form of the human activin receptor type IIB, was administered once every 2 to 4 weeks by subcutaneous (SC) injection to boys with DMD. Dose levels and regimens for this multiple-dose study were based on data from the initial clinical studies in healthy subjects in which doses of 0.02 to 3 mg/kg SC were evaluated. A total of 24 subjects were enrolled into the study; 18 received ACE-031 and 6 placebo. All subjects were treated for a period of 12 weeks.
The pharmacodynamic effects of ACE-031 treatment were assessed by a battery of motor function test that included the 6-Minute Walk Test, the 10-Minute Walk/Run Test, the 4-Stair Climb Test and the Gower Maneuver (GW).
Muscle strength was assessed by hand-held myometry and fixed system testing. Body composition (i.e., spine BMD, lean mass, and fat mass) was assessed by whole body and lumbar spine DXA scans. Pulmonary function was assessed by forced vital capacity (FVC), maximal inspiratory pressure (MIP) and maximal expiratory pressure (MEP). ACE-031 safety was evaluated through observation of the incidence and severity of adverse events.
- Number of subjects with adverse reactions. [Time Frame: From treatment initiation to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later]
Number of subjects in each cohort with a treatment-emergent adverse event considered at least possibly related to study drug.
- Number of subjects with clinical laboratory adverse reactions. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
Number of subjects in each cohort with treatment-emergent adverse laboratory values judged to be at least possibly related to study drug
- Percent Change in Total Lean Body Mass by DXA Scan. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Percent Change in Lumbar Spine Bone Mineral Density by DXA Scan. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Percent Change in Muscle Strength Score by Hand-held Myometry. [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
Manual Muscle Testing (MMT) is a procedure to measure the function and strength of individual muscles and muscle groups. Hand-held myometry, using a device known as a dynamometer, is one method used for MMT. The dynamometer is held against the patient's limb by the examiner and the patient is asked to resist the force applied by the examiner. The dynamometer measures the force applied by the patient, providing a quantitative and objective assessment of strength of the particular muscle or muscle group. The effectiveness of a therapeutic intervention on muscle strength, as measured by hand-held myometry, can be assessed by comparing post-treatment to pre-treatment (baseline) measurements.
- Change in Distance Traveled in 6 Minutes (Standardized 6-Minute-Walk Test). [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Change in distance traveled in 6 minutes (standardized 6-Minute-Walk Test); stratified by baseline age (<10 years vs. >=10 years)
- Change From Baseline in Time to Travel 10 Meters (Standardized 10-Meter-Walk/Run Test). [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
- Change in Pulmonary Function Tests (FVC) [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit, approximately 24 weeks later.]
Forced Vital Capacity (FVC); 1 of 3 separate tests employed to assess pulmonary function in this study
- Change in Pulmonary Function Test (MIP) [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Study Visit. approximately 24 weeks]
Maximum Inspiratory Pressure (MIP); 2 of 3 separate tests employed to assess pulmonary function in this study
- Change in Pulmonary Function Test (MEP) [Time Frame: Baseline to End-of-Stuidy Visit, approximately 24 weeks]
Maximum Expiratory Pressure (MEP); 3 of 3 separate tests employed to assess pulmonary function in this study
• Diagnosis of DMD confirmed
• Corticosteroid therapy for at least one year prior to study day 1 and on a stable dose and schedule for at least 6 months prior to study day 1
• Evidence of muscle weakness by clinical assessment
• Any previous treatment with another investigational product within 6 months prior to study day 1
• Any clinically significant cardiac, endocrine, hematologic, hepatic, immunologic, metabolic, urologic, pulmonary, neurologic, dermatologic, psychiatric, renal, and/or other major disease that is not related to DMD
• Inability to perform a whole body dual x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan
A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study of SRP-9001 for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)The purpose of this study is to evaluate...
Study of Eteplirsen in Young Patients With DMD Amenable to Exon 51 SkippingThis is a multicenter, open-label, dose-...
A Clinical Study to Assess Two Doses of GSK2402968 in Subjects With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)The purpose of this study is to determin...
Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of Single and Multiple Doses of HT-100 in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe main purpose of this study is to tes...
Safety Study of BLS-M22 in Healthy VolunteersBLS-M22 is being developed as an anti-my...
HOPE-Duchenne (Halt cardiomyOPathy progrEssion in Duchenne)Male subjects with cardiomyopathy second...
A Study to Assess Vamorolone in Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)The purpose of this study is to determin...
BIOPHYTIS to Host Key Opinion Leader Meeting on the Biology of Aging and its Application in Neuromuscular DiseasesBiophytis, a clinical-stage biotechnolog...
A phase 2 trial of the safety and pharmacokinetics of ataluren in patients aged 2 to 5 years with nonsense mutation ...Nonsense mutation Duchenne muscular dyst...
First Patient Dosed in Phase II Clinical Trial in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyAntisense Therapeutics today announced d...
PTC Therapeutics Announces Positive Data from its Translarna™ Phase II Clinical Trial in Children as Young as Two ...PTC Therapeutics, Inc. today announced t...
Wave Life Sciences Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Clinical Trial Selected for FDA Complex Innovative Trial Designs Pilo...Wave Life Sciences Ltd., a biotechnology...