welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
- log in
Use of Dynamic Arm Supports to Promote Activities of Daily Living in Individuals With DMD
study id #: NCT03531788
condition: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
status: active, not recruitingpurpose:
This study is a longitudinal, randomized control trial evaluating the use of two commercially available dynamic arm support devices (Armon Ayura-Kinova and JAECO WREX) to promote participation in activities of daily living in non-ambulatory individuals with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) with upper extremity weakness.
intervention: Armon Ayura, JAECO Wrex
mechanism of action: No pharmaceutical intervention
last updated: February 14, 2020
start date: August 30, 2018
estimated completion: December 31, 2020
phase of development: N/A
size / enrollment: 30
This study is a longitudinal, randomized control trial evaluating the use of two commercially available dynamic arm support devices (Armon Ayura-Kinova and JAECO WREX) to promote participation in activities of daily living in non-ambulatory individuals with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) with upper extremity weakness. Up to 30 individuals will be enrolled to participate in this research study, which includes a two-week baseline data collection period, a four-week device trial and a two-week post device data collection period. Participants will be randomly assigned to trial one of the dynamic arm support devices during the four week in-home trial. The ActiGraph, a wrist worn activity monitoring device, will be worn during the baseline period, the device trial and the post device data collection period to capture UE movement patterns. UE performance will be further quantified with use of a physical motor assessment, the Performance of Upper Limb (PUL) assessment and patient reported outcomes. Data gleaned will provide important knowledge and objective results regarding the potential benefit of dynamic arm supports in individuals with DMD with limited functional use of their upper extremities.
- Change in Upper Extremity Acceleration through Actigraphy [ Time Frame: Activity monitoring occurs throughout the trial period from baseline to 8 weeks ]
Measured through the ActiGraph GT9X wrist worn activity monitoring device - The multi-axis accelerometer measures acceleration normalized to Earth gravity (g) in the x, y, and z axis.
- Change in Upper Extremity Position through Actigraphy [ Time Frame: Activity monitoring occurs throughout the trial period from baseline to 8 weeks ]
Measured through the ActiGraph GT9X wrist worn activity monitoring device - The multi-axis gyroscope measures angular rates in degrees per second in the x, y, and z axis.
- Goal Attainment Scale (GAS) [ Time Frame: The GAS will be completed and scored at baseline, then scored again at 6 weeks ]
The GAS is a personal interview which allows the individual to determine important and personally meaningful goals. Goal scaling is standardized in order to calculate the extent to which a patient's goals are met.The GAS uses a 5-point rating scale to determine if the goal was not met (-2) up to a greater than expected meeting of the personal goal (+2). A score of 0 indicates the goal was met as anticipated.
• Eligible Sexes: male
• 14 years of age or older
• Self-report diagnosis of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD)
• Use a wheelchair for mobility
• Score 3-5 on the Brooke UE Scale
• Self-report of needs assistance/unable to achieve independently on at least 10 items on the UL ADL self-report questionnaire
• Able to follow instructions
• Informed consent provided by self (18 and over) or by parent or legal guardian (if under the age of 18)
• Does not have minimum level of UE function to operate the assigned dynamic arm support (Score of 6 on the Brooke UE scale or any other impairment limiting use)
• The assigned dynamic arm support is unable to be mounted to wheelchair (mounts will vary based on manufacturer/model of wheelchair)
Cardiac and Skeletal Muscle Effects in the Randomized HOPE-Duchenne TrialObjective: To assess the feasibility, s...
Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of Single and Multiple Doses of HT-100 in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyThe main purpose of this study is to tes...
Antisense Therapeutics to commence muscular dystrophy trialsAntisense Therapeutics is planning to un...
Mom builds wheelchair-using snowman to put a smile on her son’s faceOne mom in Hopewell, Virginia, built a w...
Sarepta Therapeutics Announces that Phase 1/2a Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Micro-Dystrophin Gene Therapy Trial...Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc., a commercia...
A Device for Rapid, Painless, Bedside Muscle Evaluation of ChildrenThe purpose of this protocol is to perfo...
Sarepta Therapeutics Completes Submission of New Drug Application Seeking Approval of Golodirsen (SRP-4053) in Patie...Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc., a leader in ...