welcome to DuchenneXchange- a positively charged Duchenne muscular dystrophy community.
- join today!
Validating Cardiac MRI Biomarkers and Genotype-Phenotype Correlations for DMD
study id #: NCT02834650
condition: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
This study will collect MRI from healthy volunteer boys and boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) to help researchers identify and validate cardiac MRI biomarkers to better understand the health of the heart and changes in heart health over time in boys with DMD. Currently, there is a lack of sufficiently well characterized cardiac MRI biomarkers that can serve as endpoints for detecting on-target and/or off-target cardiac effects during clinical drug trials for boys with DMD. Consequently, the first objective is to identify and characterize several cardiac MRI biomarkers for boys with DMD.
Cardiac MRI with contrast, Cardiac MRI without contrast, Blood Test, Heart Rate, Pulmonary Function Test, Genetic Testing, Repeat MRI scan
mechanism of action: No pharmaceutical intervention
last updated: May 15, 2019
start date: February 1, 2017
estimated completion: January 2021
phase of development: N/A
size / enrollment: 178
The second objective is to use their well-characterized cardiac MRI biomarkers and define their sensitivity for detecting early cardiac involvement. The final objective is to use these validated cardiac MRI biomarkers to better understand the genotype-phenotype correlation in boys with DMD, which to date remain tenuous. The investigators propose a pilot study to explore cardiac genotype-phenotype correlations in boys with DMD and outlier phenotypes using approaches they have pioneered for skeletal muscle.
- Myocardial Tissue Characterization [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
Focal and diffuse fibrosis, intra myocardial fat, edema plus water mobility
- Myocardial Functional Characterization [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
Strain imaging and rotational mechanics
- Genomic Analysis [ Time Frame: 4 years ]
Proposing mechanisms of cardiac dysfunction or protective phenotypes using genomic analysis
• Healthy boys or pediatric patients with DMD age 7 to 21
• Able & willing to complete an approximately 75-minute (or less) MRI exam without sedation or mechanical ventilation
• Drug regimen (if applicable) stable for at least 3 months prior to participation
• Renal insufficiency (GFR<40 mL/min/m2)
• Non-MRI compatible implants (e.g. neurostimulator, pacemaker, implanted cardioverter defibrillator)
• Claustrophobia that prevents an MRI exam
• Known allergy to MRI contrast agents
• Serum potassium level of >5.0 mmol/L
• Signs and symptoms of heart failure
A Prospective Natural History Study of Progression of Subjects With Duchenne Muscular DystrophyTo characterize the natural history and ...
Muscle MRI in Becker Muscular Dystrophy and in Limb-girdle Muscular Dystrophy Type 2IThe purpose of this study is to investig...
Catabasis Quarterly: Updates on edasalonexent and clinical trialsWe are pleased to announce that we have ...
Native T1 values identify myocardial changes and stratify disease severity in patients with Duchenne muscular dystro...Background: Duchenne muscular dystrophy...
For Many Boys With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Bright Hope Lies Just Beyond ReachLucas was 5 before his parents, Bill and...
Catabasis Pharmaceuticals Announces Publication Of Phase 1 Clinical Results Of Edasalonexent (CAT-1004) In Duchenne ...Catabasis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a clini...
Quantitative EMG in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyObjective: Multi-motor unit analysis (M...